Sunday, June 9, 2013

S.T.F.U - my lesson from pitching to investors

In my career  I've pitched my company to hundred of shaky investors. Some nice, some kind but mostly sharky. I've raised more than $5,000,000 to my company, and the most important lesson I've learned in managing feedback is to Shut The Fuck Up, and listen. Being a red head, keeping silence is challenging so I used to write on my knuckles S. T. F. U.

When presenting to investors or MVP for this matter, it's far more important to listen, absorb and digest  than to argue your point. Yes, many times people are nasty and just want to sound smart - but you won't change that by arguing. More often people didn't catch what you said, or your message, product etc - YOU are the only one to blame for that. The point is that you as presenter should improve for the next time, and do a better job!

Last week one of the students came to complaining about the feedback I gave to their MVP. Personally the objective is never to offend anyone, and if I do such I'm sorry. With that said, my tip would be to embrase relavent feedback there, and improve.

In the meanwhile, I'll continue STFU....;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment