Hi,
I think this is important!
I would like to share a personal "mosquito" that prevented me from getting a job I was craving for.
I am near the end of my degree in industrial egineering. As you may know, the topics in the degree are very broad. Throughout my 4 years, I have discovered that I am relatively good in programing. And I am quite fond of it. Did a couple of projects for some courses and found myself learning programming languages independently and succeeding pretty well in executing what I wanted to get done in the projects. So, I decided to give it a shot in the job market. Got interviewed and thoroughly tested for a programming student job and succeeded very well. The interviewers (future colleagues) were impressed! I got the impression from people that the second interview is just about discussing personal issues and sealing the deal and doesn't involve testing. I was 100% sure that I was in. Didn't prepare too much for the interview, didn't eat well in the morning, and had some personal issues that were bothering my mind (not related to finding a job). However, to my surprise, I was getting tested thoroughly by two very important future bosses. Throughout the interview, I succeeded in passing the riddles because they were relatively simple, but not in a sharp decisive way as expected. Unfortunately, it was not good enough, in addition to the fact that I am not a computer science student. Every answer I gave them was partialy right, approximately this and approximately that. I agree with the reasons for them not to take me. However, I had the knowledge required to pass the interview. The moment I entered the building, I had to turn a switch in my head and be completely in the zone. I was complacent! But I'm glad I learned my lesson :)
Lessons Learned:
1. You are not there until you enter your first day
2. Try to get in a good mood before getting interviewed- if not, make a switch in your mind.
No comments:
Post a Comment